Plans, implements and evaluates an age-appropriate program to enhance the children?s cognitive, physical, social and emotional development in accordance with the Child Care and Early Years Act. Acts as supervisor in charge of center during manager?s absence.
A. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plan, implement and evaluate stimulating, creative and varied program plans based on children?s needs, ensuring a safe and emotionally supportive environment, showing sensitivity to the individual needs of children in all aspects of development.
2. Ensures daily program balances active/quiet, indoor/outdoor, individual/group activities, and promotes and enhances creativity (i.e. arts and crafts, dramatic play, cognitive play, music appreciation, science and nature, fine/gross motor and sensory activities).
3. Promotes positive social experiences, respect for others and self-sufficiency, and provides experience and play material that actively promote anti-racist and non-sexist attitudes
4. Maintains and fosters the orderly arrangement, appearance and learning environment of the classroom including checking that activity areas, toys and equipment are safe and sanitary and setting up and tidying up of activity areas.
5. Supervise free play and guide children in their physical, cognitive, social and emotional development in accordance with program policies.
6. Observe and document child development and behavior. Work with children as a group while remaining aware of individual child needs.
7. Responsible for the safety and general well being of the children at all times by conducting daily health checks, recording illnesses and contacting parents, administering medication as directed by physicians and accurately maintaining relevant records.
8. Oversee team members in group and entire center as required. Sets a confident and professional tone to relationships and communication between colleagues, children, parents/ caregivers, and TDSB staff.
9. Work co-cooperatively with other professionals and agencies who are assigned to children with special needs.
10. Administer first aid as required and report and record it.
11. Discuss children?s progress, behavior and health with parents/designated individuals, answer questions regarding children, the group and the center while maintaining confidentiality. Ensure positive communication with parents that include promoting involvement.
12. Direct students and volunteers. Perform student evaluations.
13. May prepare centre for licensing inspection. Assist with administrative tasks such as recording attendance, recommending purchases, documenting accidents and medication administration, staff scheduling and maintenance of children?s files. Act as in charge person with contractors, landlords and external agencies while in the acting manager role.
14. Assume additional responsibilities as requested by the Child Care Manager/Director including preparing food and cleaning the dishes after lunch/snacks.
B. ORGANIZATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Participate in parent meetings, staff meetings, agency wide functions and others as required.
2. Attend staff development workshops to remain current in the Early Childhood Education field.
3. Prepare for and actively participate in supervision meetings with Manager, including setting of goals and an annual performance review
4. Attend meetings and other SSCH activities as assigned.
5. Ensure confidentiality is maintained.
6. Cooperates and participates with health and safety legislation and instructions for a safe and healthy workspace.
C. SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
? Registered ECE (member of College of Early Childhood Educators)
? Three years recent experience working with preschool children in a child care setting.
? Working knowledge of the CCEYA, AQI, emergent curriculum, public health requirements
? Ability to maintain neat and accurate records and prepare reports.
? Familiarity with Asset Based Community Development practice is an asset.
? Ability to handle emergencies, crisis and hostile behavior.
? Computer literacy in MS Office (Excel, Word and Outlook)
? Holder of valid Standard First Aid Certificate.
? Ability to assume responsibility for the operation of the center during the temporary absence of the Manager/Director.
? Current vulnerable sector check
? Ability to work as a viable member of a team.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER in one document to the by Monday, January 14, 4:00 P.M.:
Hiring Committee Senior Child Care Teacher
650 Queens Quay West
Toronto, Ontario M5V 3G3
Or E-mail: [email protected]
Please visit childcareadvantage.com to view full details and to apply. FREE REGISTRATION and lots of jobs to choose from!