Early Childhood Educator Wanted - Join Our Team And Help Children Reach Their Potential
The Burnaby Neighbourhood House serves as a community focal point a place where families and individuals can go to get support and services; a place where new immigrants become involved in their community and can find information and resources that will help them with their adaptation and integration into the community; where seniors and youth can gather; and where all these groups can come together in activities and events that aim to link generations and cultures and create a stronger community.
It seeks the involvement and input of community members in the development and implementation of supportive programs and services. It draws residents together to create a healthier community through their involvement.
The position of School Age Program Leader requires positive, energetic, and experienced people. The leaders are responsible for engaging with and supervising children (ages 5-12) in a busy program setting. This role involves: planning and implementing daily activities, managing behaviour, providing learning opportunities and support for participants, attending to the developmental (social, emotional, physical, and cognitive) needs of participants and their families, supporting volunteers, and providing a safe and welcoming atmosphere for participants to engage in activities.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
Promotes Neighbourhood House program philosophy by ensuring programs have the opportunities to interconnect and achieve client integration across program areas.
Walk children to and from school or assist with loading and unloading children in the van.
Engage with children in a variety of activities: sports, games, crafts, etc.
Supervises participants and ensure safety in the program.
Performs first aid treatment.
Assists supervisor in planning monthly program appropriate for school-aged children.
Assists children with their homework.
Set-up and take down of shared spaces.
Works in cooperation with staff and volunteers, to implement and evaluate programs.
Works within budget limits.
Works with and provides leadership to volunteers.
Talks with parents/caregivers on a regular basis.
Participates in regular staff meetings and training sessions.
Develops positive relationships with participants and act as a role model and mentor.
Assists with preparation and delivery of daily nutritional snack.
Supervises participants on trips away from the centre.
Assists with light cleaning and centre maintenance.
Performs other duties as required.
1. Must be at least 19 years of age.
2. Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity and multiculturalism.
3. A high level of functional spoken and written English skills sufficient to ensure successful communication with staff, children and parents
4. 1-2 years of experience providing care and mature guidance to school-aged children in a daycare or recreational setting.
5. Meets licensing requirements for Responsible Adult by the completion of a course , or a combination of courses, of at least 20 hours in child development, guidance, health and safety or nutrition.
6. Current 1st Aid and CPR certification.
7. Current criminal record search.
8. Current Level 1 Foodsafe certificate or Food Safety Certificate
9. Healthy Eating in Child Care Setting Certificate
10. Anaphylaxis in Child Care Setting Certificate
11. High 5 PHCD Certificate
12. Documented compliance with BCs immunization and tuberculosis control programs.
13. Early Childhood Education (ECE), Child and Youth Care (CYC) or Recreation Leadership diploma (an asset).
14. Second language (an asset).
15. Class 4 Drivers License (an asset).
Hours of Work & Rate of Pay:
Staff work up to 25 hours during a typical work week, and up to 40 hours during school holidays. Hours are allotted based on the needs of the program, a persons availability and a persons performance. Due to the age group we work with, staff work a split shift between the hours of 7-9 am and 2:30-6 pm. Starting wage $--... if you do not meet all training qualifications) with benefits after 3 months for anyone who regularly works over 20 hours a week. 4% holiday pay will be added to pay for first year, after this time employees are eligible for 2 weeks paid holidays
School Aged Childcare Leaders report to and are supported by the Site Supervisor and Hub Coordinator. Please visit childcareadvantage.com to view full details and to apply. FREE REGISTRATION and lots of jobs to choose from!